--- Sharad Birmiwal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> if you are trying to boot the machine without any ram and getting
> that
> error, please correct me if i am wrong, it could be because 2.4
> kernels try
> to load initrd onto a ram-drive first.

> On 11/2/05, Manish Popli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I m using 2.4.21-4.Elsmp kernel.it <http://kernel.it>
> <http://kernel.it>
> > went down suddenly and
> > when i reboot, it was not able to found the boot record..
> > after that i plughed out a slot of 512mb ram from it and tryed to
> boot
> > it..M/c got start but i was facing the error...
> > *Kernel* *panic*: *no* *init* *found*. Try passing *init*= option

Firstly a PC can not boot without RAM. Since the PC seems to have
powered up and the boot loader also got loaded I am assuming there is
some sort of damage to the hard disk. I would recommed a backup disk be
created and then you should start looking at what you can retrieve from
the damaged hard disk.

The other reason the boot loader would be confused are:

1. Extensive filesystem damage - you are better off with the backup
disk in any case then
2. Power went off before lilo could write to the boot sector - only
valid if you were playing with lilo and only if lilo couldnt write
before power went off.
3. If you use grub then /boot/grub folder or /boot/grub/grub.conf or
/boot/grub/menu.1st on Debian got corrupt.

Do note if power wasnt the culprit then either the kernel was non
standard or the motherboard is dying on you.

Mithun