On Thursday, 10 Nov 2005 4:49 pm, Vinayak Hegde wrote:
> On 11/10/05, Sandip Bhattacharya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Which commonly used packages does Freebsd have in it ports collection
> > that Debian/Ubuntu doesnt?
>
> You can find more info here -> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

I know where the ports are. I just wanted to know which packages do people
commonly find missing in Linux that Freebsd has.

> > Also, can anyone point me to any references which have performance
> > measurements of Freebsd versus Linux? Till now I have only heard about
> > FreeBSD being better in performance than Linux. Anyone has any links to
> > tests which have proved to you that it is better?
>
> Most of them are old now since the release of Linux 2.6 and FreeBSD
> 6.0 recently.
> You can google for performance tests.

Again, I can google it myself. But I just wanted to know that how much do
people saying "FreeBSD better than Linux", actually base it on facts that
they have actually read or seen themselves.

Both Linux and FreeBSD are constantly getting better, I know. But when
deciding one at the expense of the other, it would help people like me to
decide on the basis of facts which points differentiate them.

I know (and sometimes manage) Linux servers which handle tens of thousands of
mails a day and serve hundreds of websites at the same time, and yet keep
running for over a year at a stretch (till you bring it down for kernel/glibc
updates).

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya  *    Puroga Technologies   *     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Work: http://www.puroga.com  *   Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3