Frederick Noronha (FN) wrote:

>One of the biggest challenges facing LUGs at the moment stems from the
>fact that a growing number have existed for ten years or more. Many of
>us know each other quite well, and newcomers often find it difficult to
>get a word in without feeling that they're somehow offending those to
>whom their problem seems trivial and not worthy of detailed discussion.

I fully agree there. I have seen so many occasions where a n00b is
flamed for asking a rather simple question. An answer like RTFM is just
not good enough for someone who does not know he/she can RTFM in the
first place. Your typical n00b will install a gui and will want to do
everything in it, as per Doze. We all know how helpful thatis. He/she
will not know that commands like man, info or apropos exist even if he
does, some man pages should at some stage be rewritten in English, in
any case, like the procmail man pages, for instance.

>Some LUGs occasionally flare up into completely pointless flame wars
>that start over trivial macho tendencies of many members to prove their
>technological prowess at every opportunity. This tendency has led to
>some community fragmentation, with a single group forking into a group
>for veterans and one for newcomers.

Which is so true. I belong to three LUG's two of which recently split
into two or more subgroups. Now what good does it do anybody do belong
to a group where everybody is a newbie? That's almost like the blind
leading the blind. We can fast-track migration to Linux if we give some
of our time to assist newcomers and not pounce like rabid dogs everytime
the word Windows is mentioned. Let's face it, 99.9% of newcomers come
from a world of Windows and this attitude just alienates them and sends
them right back to the dark side.

Today's newbie is tomorrow's expert and if helped in a meaningful
manner, will in turn be helpful others in the future. We joined our
respective LUG's not only to receive help and information, but to give
of our time as well. We are getting our help at no cost, after all.

I realise that we all have busy schedules and that most of you will not
even want to spend the time reading this. So do I, but my feeling on the
subject of assisting others is not to hand out slaps left,right and
centre, but contribute in a meaningful manner. Remember, we were all
newbies. Linux after all, is not even 15 years old, so the first few of
us that knew anything leaned heavily on our Unix experience.
Unfortunately lately people are introduced to the gUI world first as far
as computers go and need to be shown what the CLI can really do.

Case in point: I have been involved in Linux training all over Africa
since 2000 and 2 montha ago I provided training for the Goodyear Tyre
company. Now I have structured my courses to do strictly CLI for the
first few days, where Apache, Bind, exim/sendmail, samba, etc. are set
up manually. Then on the last day I show them stuff like webmin and it
all goes out the window. However, my exam I set is focussed only on the
CLI stuff.

My 2c worth. Use it or lose it.

Tom