Hi all,
To add to this story. When the South African Government went open
source, Microsoft offered free software to all the schools. All that was
needed was to fill in an application form. That fact was widely
publicised. However, what was never publicised was the fact that very
few schools, if any, received it.

However, the Linux community managed to lash back in a very big way.
Mark Shuttleworth, bless his soul, sponsors the tuxLab program through
the Shuttleworth Foundation whereby schools are given free computer
labs. This started in the Western Cape and has expanded to my stamping
ground, the Eastern Cape. So now it is headed for the interior of the
country and is being rolled out in Johannesburg and the surrounding
areas. It has also been earmarked for Nepad, so it will be rolled out
all over Africa very soon.

Also, Freedom toasters are being rolled out right across the country,
which allow you to burn the distro of your choice at no charge.

So, here at least Microsoft are getting a run for their money.

By the way, should anybody be interested in the complete tuxLab
installation software, I am sure I can make a plan to get it there or
place the iso's on a download site. I liase fairly closely with the guys
from the Shuttleworth Foundation.

Regards,

Tom