Hi,

Sometime back I was also planning to have a similar setup. Googling on the
topic, I came across powerd, and another HOWTO which gave a good example of
configuring powerd to work with any UPS. Quite an ingeneous solution. The
writer had used an old 14.4 kbps modem (connected directly to mains ) to
signal powerd over the serial port, once the system switches to UPS.

I never got around doing this myself, because of various non tecnical
reasons, but this seemd to be a good solution. We need not stick to APC ups.

Regards

Subhasis