Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:

> Manish Kathuria wrote:
>
>>Is Service Tax applicable on open source software services namely
>>installation, configuration and customization ? Please let me know if
>>someone has clarity on this issue.
>

> IANAL :)
>
> Open Source Software Services *is* a service/consultative practice and
> thus would (ideally...) have a Service Tax component included
>
> - -SM

As per available information with me, if you classify the services as
"Information Technology Services" then probably the services wont fall
under the Service Tax net. There is a service category called Business
Auxiliary Service (added in 2003) which excludes "Information Technology
Services" from the service tax net. Please refer to the Section 2 of the
following circular available on the service tax web site:

http://www.servicetax.gov.in/servicetax/circular/st_circ_62-2k3.htm

There are some news reports also which add to the confusion:

http://www.thehindu.com/2006/01/23/stories/2006012300241700.htm
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/10/15/stories/2005101502421100.htm

It would be great if any of the firms / companies charging or paying or
not paying service tax can shed more light on this.

--
Manish