Raj Shekhar wrote:
> I get a lot of emails everyday (150-200 would be a close figure).  As
> such, I can say with confidence that people find it easier to read
> emails that are written in plain english, i.e. without using sms lingo
> or trying to write roman hinglish.  As far as the part about colonial
> legacy goes, yes, I find it easier to read english rather than hindi.
> If anyone starts writing in hindi (and thunderbird will have no problems
> in showing such emails), I will simply pass over that email.
>
> if u cn rd this, u nd a dictionary.

I don't see any reasons why anybody posting in Hindi should be
discouraged in ILUG-D. Delhi, primarily, uses Hindi for communication.
Though, I personally don't like writing Hindi in roman script, writing
Hindi in Devnagri should be acceptable. Moreover, as far as I know,
basic philosophy of LUG is to help Linux users mutually. I think we are
catering to a region, per se. Though, the language used should be formal
and not the usual slang we use. May be writing jargon in roman and using
basic Hindi grammar should be ok.

Just to add, various units of my organization (in different parts of the
world) use their own languages to communicate and e-mail and use English
only for international mailing. That is perhaps the reason, that we see
PC technology so matured and widely used in China, Japan and European
countries because you are not intimidated by use of English in technology.

Best regards
Sandeep