On 09/03/06, abhinav sahai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi all of you,
> i have installed ubuntu5.10 recently on my system and so am a newbie. i face
> a very peculiar problem. my problem is that i cannot access my mail in
> ubuntu. as soon as i type gmail.com in firefox an error " google.com could
> not be found" is displayed. on yahoo as soon as i enter any email id and
> pass and press enter straightaway i get the message "login.yahoo.com could
> not be found" and same is the case with hotmail. i can login to other sites
> like ubuntuforums or even rediff.

Can not say it is Ubuntu problem since I am replying while logged in
to gmail with Ubuntu.

> i stay in a hostel and use proxy settings.
> apart from that my connection works pretty well.

Is the proxy set to block this traffic or https traffic? More likely
latter as you are saying login is prevented.
Could be that DNS of proxy is failing. In that case find out IP for
the website you want and add it to your local /etc/hosts file
alongwith name of site. Try this as a temp work around.

HTH

--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux