[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> one more thing,
>
> a. when I ping the network 192.168.0.255 -b it does not show the windows
> machine , i have to physically go over and get the ip which it self is
> okay but seems dangerous since I don't know which machines are logged in
> ? ?? unlike for all the other linux machines.
>
> Also the network is really simple - just an internet server based on
> DHCP being enabled

Ram,

For the windows machine which is the problem child, set a static IP instead of
DHCP, then
remove the default gateway as I had suggested earlier and you would be fine. In
any case,
if you have a small network, along with your DHCP, you may want to set
reservations along
with MACs so that at any time you can keep track of the machines.

Not sure why your broadcast address is not showing the machine, but a more
certain method
is to use something like nmap:

        nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24

Would yeild better results.

Cheers...Kishore
--
On a paper submitted by a physicist colleague:
"This isn't right.  This isn't even wrong."