Hi,
I'm running Fedora Core 4 "Stentz" (with SELinux enabled). I've customized my
/etc/issue as:

-- begin /etc/issue --
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz)
\s Kernel \r on an \m
\u logged into \n
-- end /etc/issue --

The problem I'm facing is that my current login program ("/sbin/mingetty"), is
not displaying the count of users logged in the system while everything is
properly set.

Following is what I did:

-- begin dump --
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ ls -Z /sbin/mingetty
-rwxr-xr-x  root     root     system_u:object_r:getty_exec_t   /sbin/mingetty
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ /sbin/restorecon -v /etc/issue
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ /sbin/restorecon -v /var/run/utmp
/sbin/restorecon set context /var/run/utmp->system_u:object_r:initrc_var_run_t
failed:'Operation not permitted'
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ ls -Z /var/run/utmp
-rw-rw-r--  root     utmp     system_u:object_r:init_var_run_t /var/run/utmp
-- end dump --

As indicate in above dump, my "/var/run/utmp" file is not in expected context,
so I restored its default security context with "/sbin/restorecon" executable.
And now everything works fine.

-- begin dump --
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ sudo /sbin/restorecon -v /var/run/utmp
/sbin/restorecon reset /var/run/utmp context
system_u:object_r:init_var_run_t->system_u:object_r:initrc_var_run_t
-- end dump --

But next time when I restarted my system, the same problem started happening.
So, is it a bug in "mingetty" ?

Ashish Shukla

P.S. I'm interested in learning SELinux. And, I've seen slides on SELinux @
NSA's website. But is there any introductory material available on SELinux
aware
applications development, system administration etc.
--
आशीष शुक्ला alias "Wah Java !!"
http://wahjava.blogspot.com/

The only key to optimal life is precision.

                                -- Ashish Shukla "Wah Java !!"
                       http://wahjava.blogspot.com/2006/03/useful-thought.html