Interesting mail on some other mailing list

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [svlug] firewall utility
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:41:19 -0800
From: Rick Moen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Quoting Ron Hinchley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> Is there a good firewall utility to simplify the construction of a
> firewall and NAT. All I want is a basic firewall with some ports open
> inside the firewall but closed to the outside. Please advise.

GUI front-ends to iptables include fwbuilder, GNOME lokkit, fireflier,
firestarter, Guarddog, Guidedog, gShieldConf, Knetfilter, and LutelWall.
There are lots more.  Scripts and C programs that do it for you include
MonMotha's Firewall, Firewallscrip, Ferm, AGT, gSshield,  Or you can use
Webmin.

Me, I just look at Rusty's Remarkably Unreliable Guides when I need to
figure something out that I've forgotten:
http://people.netfilter.org/~rusty/unreliable-guides/
Especially useful bits:
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//NAT-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.1
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//packet-filtering-HOWTO-5.html

Good, quick tutorials linked from Rusty Russell's site:
http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Security/IPtables_Basics.html
http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=1236/urm0104l/0104l.htm
http://davidcoulson.net/writing/lxf/14/iptables.pdf

--
Cheers,                   I have yet to see any problem, however
complicated,

          _.-,               raj shekhar
     .--'  '-._           http://rajshekhar.net
  _/`-  _      '.       http://rajshekhar.net/blog
           `     \;  WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE
                 ;_\    -- God's Last Message to his Creation