Sudev Barar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On 04/04/06, "आशीष
शुक्ला \"Wah Java !!\""  wrote:
> I want to know if there are any network benchmark tools (esp. to know the
> actual
> data transfer rate) available for Linux esp. used by someone. One end of my

iptraf

> network contains a server, while at the other end there is a thin client. The
> server is connected to a 1000 Mbps port, and the thin client is connected to a
> 100 Mbps port on the switch ( D-Link 1026-G ). When thin client boots up, the
> kernel (Ubuntu Breezy for IA32) downloads very slow (takes around 2 minutes
> for
> both vmlinuz and initrd.img) to download. After download completes and Linux
> starts booting, the network link is reported to be as 100 Mbps, full-duplex at
> the client end. At the server end it is reported as 1000 Mbps, full-duplex.

Takes about ~20 seconds to boot with similar setup in my office.. To
rule out switching issues try booting off with a direct cable. Other
highly probable reason is reverse look up is failing delaying ssh
connect.

--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux

catch ya later (Ive gotta UnWire Life!!!)
  shiv