On 5/22/06, Karanbir Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Vikas Upadhyay wrote:
> >> install
> >> exactly what are you trying to achieve ?
> >

> > I have audit version 1.0.14 installed on my system. I want to  use the
> > latest  version of audit subsytem (
> http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/ )
> > and for that my system doesn't have the necessary rpms installed.
>
> ok, you are still not clear as to why you need the newer version....

I have to port EAL3 test suite (available from ltp.sourceforge.net ) meant
for RHEL 3 to RHEL 4. In the test suite, there is a directory which tests
the underlying audit system. Moving from RHEL 3 to RHEL 4, Redhat has
changed the audit system. Now no more LAuS.  I have version 1.0.14 of audit
system installed and looking at the mailing list archives of audit system, a
lot of capabilities have been added in the newer versions.
So, I thought of using newer version of audit system.

> > I don't know what's the usual practice to resolve the chain of
> dependency,
> > would appreciate any help in that direction.
>
> the dep tree in this case is going to be interesting, rather than
> building glibc down to python in order to satisfy depends - common sense
> should kick in and you should just move from RHEL to Rawhide.

Well, don't have any idea about Rawhide. Searching (Googling ) for it points
to Fedora. Please correct me if I am wrong. The project is meant for RHEL 4
only, so no chance of moving to Fedora/Rawhide.
Is there any generic way of resolving dependency ?