On 6:47:26 am 06/22/06 Kenneth Gonsalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 21-Jun-06, at 2:35 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >  My view of it is
> >  that, given the present educational situation in India, where
> >  students and faculty have little exposure to open source, and
> >  where there is still not enough fostering of critical and
> >  independent thought in students, a more pro-active role for
> >  mentors is essential. However, we would, of course, still
> >  encourage original project ideas from students.
> >

> i will be watching your experience with interest. We are starting up
> a major project involving projects and mentors and have got so far:
>
> 1. Project must be selected by the student (he need not originate it)
> but he must show some thoughts about it on a wiki page
[...]
> 5. The student is expected to join the appropriate mailing lists and
> inhabit theappropriate IRC channels, and, ideally, the mentor will
> guide him through these and not privately as the community at large
> would benefit.
[...]

I have snipped the rest of your points, as we do not seem to have
any differences over those. You might be aware that we (as in
ILUG-D) are also planning a broader student mentorship initiative,
and, in fact, had even talked to the NRCF about a joint effort. The
JNU workshop is a first step in this, that could be started
immediately as it is being funded entirely by the Bio-Informatics
Centre.

  The main differences between what you propose here, and the way
we planned things was that:
 (a) We were planning on working largely with local colleges (in
     the NCR region), as we felt that a face-to-face contact
     between students and mentors was important, at least initially.
     Plus, from my experience in working with students in India,
     the vast majority are not yet attuned to working over email,
     IRC, lists, etc., in the style of most open-source projects
 (b) We envisaged that the mentors would offer a range of projects
     from work that they are already involved in, and students
     could then take up ones that met their interest. Of course,
     we would be more than happy if students were to come to us
     with original projects. However, I do not foresee this happening
     on a large scale, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Regards,
Gora