Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I don't have net access at home.. The
problem just got worse.. Now  Ubuntu does not even boot and gives all
kinds of IO errors when booting.. So I cannot even try out your
suggestion (as I can't even reach a terminal).. Could it be some
harddisk failure? I sure hope not, I just bought the laptop a few
months back :( ..

Regards,
Anupam Jain