Hi,

Shirish Agarwal wrote:
> Hi all,
> I configured an ADSL modem/router Huawei MT880 with pppoeconf. I'm able
> to surf the web using the command
>
> Code:
>
> pon dsl-provider Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded
>

> Then after surfing when I give
>
> Code:
>
> poff /usr/bin/poff: /bin/kill failed. None stopped
>

> I gave the command again
>
> Code:
>
> poff /usr/bin/poff: /bin/kill failed. None stopped
>

> the same thing happens.
>
> Then again I gave
>
> Code:
>
> pon dsl-provider Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded
>
> sometimes it also gives something like some interface is already up or
> something like tht.
>
> Then after reading the man I gave
>
> Code:
>
> poff -a
>

> I get some other error but the connection is off.
>
> Then giving the command while the connection is on
>
> Code:
>
> ifconfig ppp0 link ecap : Point-to-point protocol inet address :
> 59.95.14.24 P-T-P : 59.95.0.1 Mask : 255.255.255.255 UP POINT POINT
> RUNNING NO ARP MULTICAST MTU: 1492 METRIC :1 Rx Packets : 18 errors :0
> dropped :0 overruns :0 frame :0 Tx packets :5 errors:0 dropped :0
> overruns :0 carrier :0 collisons :0 txqueueclean:3 Rx bytes :932
> (932.0b) Tx bytes : 134 (134.0b)
>

> Now question time,
> 1. what is this Plugin rp-pppoe.so which is loaded? Is it a library or
> what & where is it reside(location with the whole path) ?

Chances are that it is PPPoE plugin, which is probably for running PPP over
Ethernet protocol. Mine [ FC5 (AMD64) ] resides here  /usr/lib64/pppd/2.4.3/ .

> 2. of the two addresses given, one of them would be the dynamic IP which
> is given by the ISP. Now of the 2 which is dynamic & what is other IP
> from inet or P-T-P ?

Your IPv4 address is 59.9.5.14.24 whereas ISP's is 59.95.0.1 . BtW, it is
clearly indicated in the dump.

> 3. The Rx packets & Tx packets would be packets received & send right?
> If so, what does tx queueclean stand for?

It should be probably txqueuelen (probably misposted) . For description of
txqueuelen, read manpage of ifconfig.

> 4. Lastly, the poff has many options starting with [-r] [-d] [-c] [-a]
> [-h] [up-name] , what are these options & what do they mean?

Look poff (or pon) manpage. Or if you don't have manpage, check this:
http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/display_man.cgi?id=3d78d8bb25450bf8917243d8ccb57a8e&format=html

> All of the things are hand-written notes as they appeared on the screen
> so if some of the things should appear on the same line but appears but
> on the next line as I've written then it might be what I've written &
> not on the screen. So the content look might be different but the
> content itself is 100% accurate.

Thanks for posting this at the end.

Ashish Shukla
--
आशीष शुक्ला alias "Wah Java !!"
http://wahjava.wordpress.com/

All that looks C00L is not necessarily validable

                               -- Ashish Shukla "Wah Java !!"