inline replies

On 11/3/06, thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In one of interview of RHEL I have been asked following question.
> Please help me in getting answers
>
> 1) Without using dmesg command and messages and dmesg log file, how
> one will find that hot pluggable drive just inserted has been detected
> by kernel or not.
>
> 2) Are device file corresponding to this drive will be created
> automatically? If no which command will create corresponding block
> device file in /dev.

Depends on if you use udev[
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html]. On systems
without udev, you have a static /dev directory with most commonly? used
devices made.

3) If these is no way for automatic generation of block device, how
> major and minor number of a disk can be figured out so that one can
> use mknod device_name b maj_no Minor_no?

I had to look this up once and found it in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt

4) If this disk is configured and partitioned successfully. One has
> copied /boo, / , /var and /usr of running system to this disk on
> corresponding directory. What has to be done to write bookable super
> block /MBR on this disk so that one can boot from this disk on next
> reboot.

use dd?

5) without using dmesg and message file, how one can get prior
> information that a particular disk is malfunctioning and going to
> crash / fail.
>
> Thank in Advance

sharad birmiwal