Nothing quite works with the ZTE card. Am on the point of giving up.
Have written to ZTE [EMAIL PROTECTED] The Sierra Wireless AirCard
555 does work though, and it's setup is documented in the July 2006
issue of LINUX FOR YOU (New Delhi).

On the #linux-india chatroom on Freenode, someone mentioned that the
Sierra card costs "three times as much". But Reliance told me (on the
phone) that it is also sold at the same price (Rs 5000).

It would make a lot of sense if ZTE had worked out some solution for
the GNU/Linux operating system. Incidentally, I came much further on
the SuSE operating system (sorry, this is a politically incorrect
thing to now say, thanks to Novell!!!) than I did with Ubuntu. We
tried everything. Different init strings (including those suggested on
the Windows-only setup that comes on the mini-CD enclosed) and
blacklisting some possibly-conflicting modules. But nothing much
worked.

So, in a word: if you want to go wireless on Reliance... don't go ZTE.
At least not until China's second largest telecom hardware company
decides to be more GNU/Linux friendly. Am not sure, but was told that
Huawei also works, but haven't tried or seen this out myself.

Just sharing this in case others are stuck at the same point that I
have (along with others like Prof Prabhat Ranjan, who has tried quite
a bit and given some useful online tips too). FN

PS: ZTE, don't ignore GNU/Linux!

--
FN 9822122436 +91-832-240-9490 (phone calls after 1 pm please)