Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Ankur Rohatgi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I wanted spam filtering suggestions for a friend who's server is running
>> qmail and spamassasin. They are also using spamhaus for RBL checks. This
>> is still leading to a lot of junk email and i wanted to know what are
>> you all using to tackle spam. He would be interested in a free or paid
>> solution that can filter as much as possible.
>
> Have you considered grey listing ? That will drop anywhere from between
> 85 - 88 % of spam at this time( numbers from an active metric done on a
> moderately busy domain a few weeks back) . The number will keep reducing
> over the next few years, but expect it to stay > 70% for atleast another
> year +

I agree. Here are some similar stats from the greylisting daemon running
on a server for the last year and half:

List statistics since Fri May 20 17:55:24 2005 (572 days and 2 hours ago)
----------------------------
Of 263499 items that were initially greylisted:
 -  52516 ( 19.9%) became whitelisted
 - 210983 ( 80.1%) expired from the greylist

And my criteria of greylisting is:
1. greylist all mails which come from <>
2. greylist all mails which come to specific domains.

the only issue I have seen in using greylisting is customers not
understanding why mails from customers are getting delayed or some
braindead mailservers which bounce messages after seeing even a "message
deferred. Please try later" status.

- Sandip