Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On 06-Jan-07, at 8:30 PM, Gaurav Mishra wrote:
>
>>> hi,
>>> i think it will be a good idea to have a lug-D meet sometimes this
>>> month &
>> This can surely be put up on the agenda for the monthly meeting
>
> this is not how things are done in FOSS - the thing is to get it
> started, see if it grows and *then* have a meeting. As the delhi wiki
> is not up as yet, I have made a temporary page where we can see if
> enough content can be generated. So, get over there and start
> generating content:

Any reason why the lug-delhi.org wiki won't suffice? What is a "delhi wiki"
anyway?

This is what I don't understand about ILUGD. When I proposed the idea of a wiki
some years back in a meeting, (IIRC in Saket), I was told on my face by some
person, 'you put up the idea - go ahead and implement it". So I did, and seeded
it with original content. I termed it an unofficial wiki, because it didn't
have
the "official' sanction of the "people".

What is the point of merely talking about "you have been volunteered" and "you
came up with the idea, so you implement it" when nothing will come after it?
Who
looks at such contributions later, and then adopts it in the "official" mode of
the LUG? You ask a person to start it up, he puts his time and effort into it,
but the only road to greater acceptance is when the LUG adopts it, right? The
more people who use it, the more it has a chance to "grow". It is a circle -
the
ILUGD wants to adopt it when it is a success, but a success is only ensured if
the effort has official sanction.

For user generated content like wikis, why would many people waste their time
in
an individual's effort, when they are not certain if it would find official
acceptance later? What is the criteria that the LUG would have to adopt such
efforts of its people in its own fold?

I don't have any interest in keeping the lug-delhi.org wiki in a different
domain. I would be really relieved if the lug-delhi.org wiki and the planet
moves to the linux-delhi.org domain/servers. But it seems like I have been
waiting for ages for it to "get accepted". People probably have some
misconception about why it is there.

I personally don't feel it worth any more to contribute in similar ways to the
LUG as long as things remain the way they are. I would actually strongly
discourage people from starting their own initiatives because they are likely
get disappointed like me in the long run.

- Sandip