On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 21:48 +0530, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> "Kamal Dave"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > In my opinion the decision to opt out has its god grounds but by not
> > participating in the LA2007, there was an opportunity afforded to the MS to
> > hack the cause of conference.  It must always be understood the control
> > over
> > the conference schedules also was given to the MS for stating their point
> > and in the ultimate the lug remained the looser.

> A serious, alert [would be] customer will notice the absence of FLOSS
> activists in an event which is supposed to be about FLOSS.

I will second Mahesh's opinion, in opposition to what several people
have implied: That it is somehow the LUG's job to spread Linux (I
explicitly use Linux, rather than free software as a whole). Personally,
I couldn't care less if the rest of the world uses proprietary software,
as long as there is a viable free software community. Maybe it is time
for the free software companies that sponsor Linux-Asia to wake up and
smell the roses, but as far as I am concerned LA2007 was no skin off my
nose. At least at present, there are more fruitful avenues for the
promotion of free software.

> If s/he is does not notice, s/he is not a worthy customer.

Precisely. There are none so blind as those that refuse to see. If one
puts aside the egotism of working for a *good* cause, it becomes
apparent that people are really willing to make a change only when the
impetus comes from their side.

Regards,
Gora