Saturday, Feb 24, 2007's meeting at Goa Science Centre focussed on these issues:

* Demo of LUGRadio programmes via a Chinese-clone of the iPod.
  http://www.lugradio.org/episodes.rss
  Feedback: difficulty in following the programmes, and a bit of
  "excessive laughter" on the episode we were tuned into.

* Talking about devices, Arvind suggested the OpenMoko phone
   http://www.openmoko.com/

Notice to Developers
If you are interested in developing Free Software applications for the
OpenMoko platform, please send information regarding embedded Linux
projects you have contributed to, and the work you have done to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

We had some hardware issues that set us back about a month. But now
we're back on track and should start shipping in February. All of our
efforts are focused on getting the device out, so please forgive our
delays in replying to your emails.

* Queries about web-to-SMS international gateways. Some suggested
  using Yahoo (only Windows compatible). BSNL is offering SMS
  within India for 40 paisa per SMS.

* Brief discussion about using 'sleep' mode under GNU/Linux, while transporting
  laptop with a GNU/Linux distro.

* Fedora and its marketing strategies.

* Debate about new distros. Stanley is on the search for some.

* Some of us remembered Prakash Advani, earlier with FreeOS.com and now
  with Novell. He has an interesting photo blog. See:
  http://cityblogger.com/archives/category/photography/

* We also thought of the photography work of Tariq Sani (Nagpur) and
  Kalyan Varma (Bangalore), two other FLOSS techies.
  http://tariquesani.net/
  http://www.kalyanvarma.net/photography/

* We had a brief discussion on the Simputer and also the plans of Geodesic,
  where Atul Chitnis is now vice-president
  See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simputer
  The visit of Dr Vinay Deshpande to Goa was remembered too.
  There was a debate over the $100 computer (OLPC), and whether the it was
  really unsuted to India, or whether the opposition to it could be from
  those eager to block the spread of Free Software/Open Source among
  the younger generation.
  See http://www.laptop.org/ or http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Home

* Someone raised the question about the Mobilis.
  The Mobilis, is Encore's inexpensive mobile PC
  http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/11/the-mobilis-encores-inexpensive-mobile-pc/

* Arvind was keen to get access to the book 'Linux Kernel: In A Nutshell'

  Apologies to the lady who missed our meeting, because we started late! Ashwin
  Naik phoned, and was eager to come to meetup (at the bhel-puri informal
  meet-up following the indoors meet at the Goa Science Centre, Panjim). FN

--
FN M: 0091 9822122436 P: +91-832-240-9490 (after 1300IST please)
http://fn.goa-india.org  http://fredericknoronha.wordpress.com