>>> ananda rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/05/07 8:11 AM >>>
>Dear Forum
>  I bought an HCL machine which comes with an Asus P5P800-VM
motherboard. This MB comes withan Intel 865G >chipset.
>  I tried installing OpenSuSE 10.1 on this machine. After a few
hiccoughs I was finally able to get into the graphical mode. >But the
problem is the screen flickers. Though the rated refresh rate of the
monitor is 85MHz, I am not able to get this >rate of refresh. I tried
installing the linux drivers from the MB CD. The rpm package istalled,
but still the refresh rate does >not change.
>  Any suggestions will welcome.
>  anandarao313

Could be a monitor problem : the refresh rate of 85 MHz is only
available on lower resolution - 1024x768 for the 17" CRT monitors that I
have - and setting X to a higher resolution causes the flicker for a
white background because the monitor slips to 60MHz. I have managed to
get it to 75 Mhz which reduces the flicker, but the resolution is not at
the maximum allowed (1280x960 - again for the monitors that I have)

You could check your monitor manual and see what are the preset refresh
rates for the different resolutions, and use those to set the
HorizSync and VertRefresh values in the xorg.conf file.

Andrew