The exact functionality you are looking for is provided in the Linux kernel
as frequency scaling. You have four basic governors available (if they are
compiled in the kernel/loaded as modules).

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
conservative ondemand powersave userspace

I echo the desired governor to
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor and it works fine for
me. FYI, i've an HP laptop and I run gentoo.

For more info, see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/cpu-freq.

Sharad Birmiwal