[snip]
> I have tried converting the files to B/W TIFF myself, using Gimp. But
> no matter how much I fiddle around with contrast settings, etc., the
> black and white images are pathetic. I cannot believe that conversion of
> grayscale images to black/white cannot be better than this.
>
> Any recommendations from others who have already gone through this agony?
> How can we improve the input images of OCR programs like tesseract?
[snip]

hi sandeep, long time!
:-)

howto improve grayscale images while converting them to black&white:

a) using brightness/contrast is a quick and not so efficient method,
as you've discovered.

b) use the 'levels' command. the histogram that shows up allows you to
choose what should be considered black, and what should be considered
white. so anything lighter than the 'white' you choose also becomes
white, and anything darker than the 'black' you choose also becomes
black. the grayscale in the middle allows you to choose what will be
neutral grey. don't worry,
it's a playful thing, just drag around with your mouse on all the
settings in 'levels' and you'll see how it dramatically alters the
image.

c) 'posterize' is another in-between step. it reduces grayscale of 256
shades, to far less shades, which is the equivalent of enhancing
contrast.

d) play around with 'curves' which also dramatically alters tonality.
think of 'curves' as a graphic equalizer normally used on a stereo
system, used for visual images.

e) more advanced techniques call for using 'chops' which stand for
channel operations, first hacked together by kai krause.

oh! i could go on with several dozen more creative hacks for enhancing
contrasts! i recall when long ago i used to conduct workshops around
'digital image-editing' i'd spend about 2 hours just explaining all
the techniques around this one single topic. it is really quite
fascinating! but am sure the above could help you out with your
problem.

see ya around at one of our LUG or similar meets, buddy.

:-)
niyam bhushan