Intentionally separated the mail for one more issue.

We received the PCs in two lots, Batch-A plain vanilla FreeDOS on
160GB disks, so installing WinXP and Linux and ghosting it was simple.
Batch-B same make and hardware, but with WinXP preinstalled.

For Batch-B we have resized the Windows partition using qtparted and
created further partitions for Linux. As for Linux, we created another
image from the Linux partition of Batch-A and restored it to the
appropirate partition in Batch-B. Obviously partition sizes of the two
batches were similar but partition table layout was different as also
the partition number of the swap partition. That was all done nicely
by setting up GRUB again for Batch-B and redefining swap location post
ghosting. Ghosting of Windows Partition in Batch-B was not possible as
we would have lost the pre-installed licenses!!! So that will have to
be done one by one - painful resizing of all Batch-B PCs and repeating
the corrective process for Linux Partition and doing everything else
for Windows partition as what we would have done for a new PC. I do'nt
have any idea for handling this kind of customisation for a
pre-installed Windows-XP PC.

For Batch-B Linux partitions I have two questions:

A. Is there any short way of cloning the partition table of a master,
including resizing of Windows Partition?

B. Fortunately Batch-B was identical to Batch-A hardware-wise, so
ghosting linux partition was fine and achieved, but what if Batch-A
and Batch-B were slightly different, say a different ethernet card or
a different monitor / display card, if I ghost from Batch-A to Batch-B
what all the problems can be??

Fortunately Batch-B size is only 10 PCs.

anand