hi,
I was trying to install Kubuntu from the Kubuntu 7.04 CD distributed with
the delegate kit, but got an error that said
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off (initramfs)
and then it gave me the command line with some commands available and didnt
know what to do..so booted back into Windows, looked up and found the
following post.

Which contained a link to another post that said some additional packages
are required. Then  i found this link.
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.04 which conatins a dell
remastered version of Ubuntu 7.04 with these additional packages. This
sounds like a better option so downloading lets see what happens.

So downloading this, lets see how it goes.

Also i had tried running 6.06 LTS as Live CD earlier and that failed to
start x server. Have the log file of that saved, the end of which says
(WW) I810: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
(EE) No devices detected.

--
Puneet