As far as I know digital cameras store image information in EXIF format
along with the image. But I am not sure whether the date and time that
displays on the photograph come from the same or not. There are lots of
tools to edit this data. I have personally done it with IPTC using
imagemagick but never got a chance to try with EXIF. But I am quite sure
there would be open source tools and scripts for the same. What about GIMP?