On 26 Oct 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> How do we use tar with limited resources like some specific cycle of
> CPU to use e.g20% CPU, with specified I/O or bandwidth limit e.g
> 50MB/s

You can limit CPU usage with nice(1). While it sets no bounds on the
amount of CPU that is used, it ensure that the process will yield CPU
to higher priority tasks. I think this is more in tune with your
situation (indeed, most offline backups do use nice).

As for the IO throttling, I have no idea. I suspect that the solution
will be more involved, either fooling about with the I/O scheduler or
modifying tar's source code.

--
Alok

QOTD:
        "It's hard to tell whether he has an ace up his sleeve or if
        the ace is missing from his deck altogether."