Raj Mathur wrote:

> So in a sense the load average is a measure of the load on the system.
> Higher load averages mean that the processor is unable to handle the
> demands put onto it by the tasks running in the system.  However,
> there are no fixed measures for defining what load average is high and
> what is low.  I personally would start getting worried if a server
> under my control was consistently showing load averages higher than
> say, 5; on the other hand, it all depends on what sort of tasks the
> server is doing and how fast and often the kernel does context
> switches.

Apart from uptime, which tells about the load average in the form of
average number of processes essentially in "run_queue" at a time, over
last 1 minute, 5 minute and 15 minutes. There is another program called
System Acitivty Report (SAR) which represents the CPU utilization in the
form of percentages.

The CPU load monitored by SAR is shown in %

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/var/log/sa> sar -f sa31|more
Linux 2.6.16.21-0.8-default (hostux2)       31/08/07

00:00:26        CPU     %user     %nice   %system   %iowait
%steal     %idle
00:01:26        all      0.98      0.00      0.53      0.78
0.00     97.70
00:02:26        all      0.80      0.00      0.33      0.65
0.00     98.22

How does this % relates to the uptime output? Does this % refers to the
run_queue capacity? Is there any way we can modify run_queue.

In SAR's case, is it fair to sum the % of queues (excluding %idle) and
conclude that as the total "CPU load" at that time?

Regards
Yash