On Tuesday 08 Jan 2008, Viksit Gaur wrote:
> --- tuxdna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > :(){ :|:& };:
> > :
> > : is a Bash Shell's no-op ( no operation ) literal,
> >
> > which can be used
> > as 'true' also.
>
> Hmm, I've never heard the character : referred to as
> such. Perhaps someone can comment on this, although I
> doubt this is the case. IMO, the use of : is just to
> obfuscate the fact that its a function name - it could
> as easily be a or b or c, or fun.

>From man bash:

SHELL BUILTIN COMMANDS
       Unless otherwise noted, each builtin command documented in this
section as accepting options preceded by - accepts -- to signify the
end of the options.  For example, the :, true, false, and  test
builtins  do  not accept options.
       : [arguments]
              No  effect;  the command does nothing beyond expanding
arguments and performing any specified redirections.  A zero exit code
is returned.

So effectively a no-op returning true.  I use constructs of the form

  while : ; do ... done

to make effectively infinite looks all the time.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/