On Jan 29, 2008 2:52 PM, Gora Mohanty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Don't know specifically about AIX, but the read built-in command
> reads from standard input. Whether that comes from a terminal or
> a pipe is immaterial. See the "SHELL BUILTIN COMMANDS" section
> under the bash manpage for details.

I am doing it this way now. I read whatever there is on the standard input
into a variable :

read -d "^d"  VAR

the ^d signifies that the end of file should be used as the delimiter to
determine the end of input instead of a newline. I don't really need to
process the standard input line by line, so i suppose this should be good
enough.

Thanks
--
Puneet