On 1/29/08, Amit Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My vendor told me that D-Link's G510 which is 54 mbps is not supported by
> Linux instead G520 which is 108mbps is supported.
>
> Since i have Access Points of 54 mbps hence i would like to install 54mbps
> PCI cards only. Is my vendor correct in saying that Linux supports only 108
> mbps PCI cards?

No, he is totally incorrect and is misguiding you. The linux support
for a pci wireless card is not dependent upon the speed. It is the
chip on the card which matters. Find out which chip is the card using
and then check whether there is a linux driver for that wireless chip
available or not. You may refer to the following sites:

http://linuxwireless.org/
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

There are some wireless cards which don't have a linux driver but you
can configure most of them with ndiswrapper which uses the windows
drivers.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

> regards,
> amit

Also, using the latest kernels would help since there a number of
wireless drivers have been added in the newer kernels.

--
Manish Kathuria
Tux Technologies