On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Kristian Erik Hermansen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  In the USA, some schools get every Microsoft product, excluding
>  Microsoft Office, for free.  Does this not happen in India?  It's
>  called the MSDNAA program.

  correct me if I am wrong. Microsoft gave every of it's product to
school for educational purposes only.

  Were students allowed to copy the package and take away and install
it on their machine at home? Were they allowed to share the products?

  This project of  MS is called Dreamspark; students are allowed to
copy the packages on CDs *without any charge* and this way they are,
*i think*, allowed to share these products too. Indian students have
been kept away from this project so i could not download these and
check if they are better than free softwares available. Anyone who has
used both type of softwares?

> My school had it, and many others do too.
>  You even get checked builds of Windows, which gives you access to
>  debugging symbols in the OS.  As a Linux User Group president, it was
>  tough to promote free software when the MSDNAA program is available at
>  the University...

  i think it should have been much more easier as you would not have
to look out for the MS products availability so that you could compare
MS products and free software and show how good free software were.

>  Kristian Erik Hermansen

 I will quote theAssociated press(the first link in my mail).

 "Gates said students will want to try Microsoft's tools because
they're more powerful than the open-source combination of Linux-based
operating systems, the Apache Web server, the MySQL database and the
PHP scripting language used to make complex Web sites.
But Gates said giving away Microsoft software isn't intended to turn
students against open source software entirely. Rather, he hopes it
will just add one more tool to their belt."

  I just want to know how much you guys agree with this as you are
developer and I am a student. This might be another evil policy of MS
against free and OpenSource software.

>did he mean mukt or muft.

  I would really love to know if there are people here who use
free<mukt, muft> software only not even OpenSource software.

>well - even if microsoft was *paying* students to use its tools, it
>still would not be relevant to this list. (cantankerous enough for you?)

  That's what you think....Sir. I would have used those tools and used
it to made very bad things so i could say everybody that those are
less powerful than OSS even if those were not.

--
Waseem
RwrWrwRwrWrwRwrWrwRwrWrwRwwwwwwww............