[Warning: Cross-posted to various mailing lists. Edit the list of
 recipients if you need to, and you probably do.]

Hello all,
  Today saw the passing of Arthur C. Clarke, a great science-fiction
writer, and also a great scientist, a name he deserves just for the
invention of the concept of a geosynchronous satellite. Many tears
are shed for the passing of personages who scarcely merit the
wastage of print on their behalf. To my mind, his name should join
one of the nine billion names of god.

  Words cannot express our sadness, but we must find a cause to revel
in any event that crosses the boundary of the normal. While it is
difficult for one to match the breadth of Clarke's vision, for me, an
apposite Arthur C. Clarke article is, "How I Lost a Billion Dollars
in My Spare Time", about how a lawyer dissuaded him in 1965 from
patenting his idea of the geosynchronous satellite. Some links with
that theme:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0320/p25s01-bogn.html
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/19/arts/obits.php

  Long may you run, Arthur.