On 07-May-08, at 12:35 AM, Anoop John wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any Mandriva users in here? If so, what
> is the general feedback about the usability in terms of Hardware
> Support, GUI based Configuration Tools, Newbie Friendliness? Is it
> something to be promoted or are there any criticisms against this
> distro?

yes. Mandriva rocks big time in terms of hardware support, GUI tools
and Newbie friendliness. It is to be prescribed especially for older
people, children, first time computer users. Both desktop and server
- absolutely no issues. If you want to use your computer to *do*
something use Mandriva. However, geeks dont like to use Mandriva,
because it doesnt create any problems so there is no need to hack it
- and if a geek isnt spending a good portion of time hacking his
system, he isnt happy. Mandriva has the usual official, free, non-
free, testing repos and has practically everything under the sun in
the repos. As far as support goes, I have no idea as in the 4 years
of using Mandriva I have not had occasion to contact support, look at
the forums or ask questions on the mailing lists.

I especially like the gui for internet setup, firewall, proxy server
setup - a few clicks and you have a firewall server, squid proxy
server ... Mandriva has the standard RPM type file structure. It has
good support for Indian languages, and understands the difference
between 'Hindi' and 'Indian'.

Negative: at times the urpm database gets locked and you need to do a
physical rm to remove the lock.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves