>[LONG] Comments inline...
>On Thursday 19 Jun 2008, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
>> +++ Andrew Michael Lynn [19/06/08 14:26 +0530]:
>> >Requirements: Collaboration, Content-management, an Open Lab
>> > note-book, project management and workflow
>> >
>> >1. OS
>> >Solaris
>> >Enterprise Linux
>>
>> Is commercial support from Redhat/Sun going to be bought? If not,
>> then Debian would be a good rock solid alternative too. Freebsd would
>> be as good too.
>>
>> Business angle:
>> Solaris/Opensolaris vs. Linux:
>> 1. How expensive is paid tech support?
>> 2. How much support is typically needed in any of these options.
>> 3. How much difficult is it to get admins for these options? And
>> retain them?
>> 4. As a consequence, how easy is it to get good documentation? And
>> good community support?
>
>I'd add:
>
>5. How easy is it to get the target software for the target platform?
>Do the products you are selecting have a large installed base on the OS
>you select?  Are any of them certified?

The last is a compelling reason for choosing a Linux based OS: There are far
more applications in the academic community that one can get running with a
routine configure-make using gmake, and is why the application layer at least
would have to be with Linux

<snip>
>> >3. Portal Engine
>> >Sun Open Portal
>> >LifeRay
>> >
>> >Note: Most users/developers of computational biology applications
>> >web-enable their applications using a LAMP stack. Q: Can similar
>> > portal functionalities be provided by Joomla/Drupal/etc  ?
>>
>> Yes, You should also consider FOSS options like Plone, Typo3 which
>> has workflow login built in.
>
>Umm, that's really, really basic workflow.  jBPM (or any
>enterprise-grade workflow engine) can give you infinitely customisable
>workflows.  Of course, in this case I'm not sure what level of
>workflows we need.

On the portal, the applications should be pluggable and accessible, much like
what is implemented in the SUN site, network.com(1).

The present leaning is to consider data and applications as services and use an
SOA. Linking these services together to form a workflow (we use the word
"pipeline" more in computational biology) is the main requirement for a
workflow component to the portal. An example that best suits our requirement is
the taverna project(2), which is a desktop workbench, and will have to be
modified so that the resources are local or on a  grid built for the project.

(1) http://network.com/
(2) http://taverna.sourceforge.net/

Andrew