On Friday 11 Jul 2008, Mani A wrote:
>  Raj Mathur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> nor any mention that such is available. Specifically,
> >> the download page, http://bosslinux.in/downloads has no
> >> such note.
> >>
> >>   Is this not a GPL violation? Would someone from FSF-India
> >> be willing to take this up with CDAC, and BossLinux?
> >
> > It's only a violation if someone gives you BOSS Linux and does not
> > give you the source.  If you have a copy of BOSS Linux, then you
>
> No, it is a GPL violation. Obviously the site is distributing the
> binaries.

Er, nothing obvious about it -- I'm trying to be precise about the
licence and the law here.  To reiterate -- if someone gives you
binaries of a GPL software s/he is obliged to give you the sources too
if you ask for them.  If they don't give you the binaries they are NOT
obliged to provide sources.

If CDAC is distributing binaries (which they are at
http://bosslinux.in/downloads) they are obliged to make the sources
available too.  That doesn't necessarily mean that the source code has
to be up for download at the same place; however if you write to them
and ask for the source they have to provide it to you (in whatever
form), and then you will be free to redistribute the source under the
terms of the GPL.  For instance you could get the source from CDAC on a
CD and then make it available for open download.

CDAC is only violating the GPL they don't respond to a request for the
source code from a bona fide downloader of their distribution.  Has
anyone downloaded the CD images and asked them for source yet?

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/