Just thought I'd share this little tip I discovered while trying to
get Ubuntu Hardy working on my laptop (Which has an Intel 965GM
graphics chipset) in the hope that it helps someone else in a similar
situation.

On my machine atleast, the default maximum video mode supported by
Hardy was 1024x768. Reconfiguring xorg using dpkg did not do anything
useful and displayconfig-gtk is buggy and was completely useless.
After much mucking around with xorg.conf, I discovered a simple fix -
change the display driver from "vesa" to "intel"! A Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
later I was staring at 1200x800 resolution in all it's glory!

-- Anupam