On Sunday 17 Aug 2008, Yashpal Nagar wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Arun Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Do you have mission critical data on this raid array?  RAID0?
>
> Yes, it is mission critical, as critical as if data is not available,
> flight wouldn't take off.
> But it is not on RAID0, as I said "experimented" for the example
> shake.

OK.  I get it.

> >> So in theory it appears like expanding the array with new disks
> >> works, with no data loss and you require a reboot into Linux. My
> >> OS was RHEL 4.0 ES
> >
> > The reboot in your case was necessary since you were adding the
> > disk to a hardware RAID system which needed to rebuild the raid
> > array.
>
> if I am not wrong the disk is already added into the array while the
> system was online, the moment you add the disk, array expansion
> started stating - expanding.

> It the scsi kernel module which required to be reloaded.

OK, glanced through your OP.  Is the module part of standard Linux
kernel or a binary blob supplied by HP?   I don't know much about the
behaviour of the HP driver.  To the best of my understanding, one just
needs to give time to complete the expansion and then it should be
useable.

> > if you have spare disk partitions you can add them to an LVM w/o
> > rebooting, you may have to go into single user mode though.
>
> single user mode -- to add the partition into LVM?

No, not to add partitions to the LVM but to resize the fs after the LVM
is expanded.  As a standard practice I use single user mode or LiveCD
(e.g. Knoppix) whenever I am messing around with disk partitions, LVMs,
fs resize.

--
Arun Khan