On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Hakuna Matata
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> we want to implement a network monitoring software in our organization.
>
> we want to monitor services like ftp/web/mysql/mssql/vmware and
> performance and up time of servers.
>
> i want the software to be more reports oriented so that i can present
> them to the management guys.

Ask your guy to show some of the sample reports.

> I did some goggling and found the below software.
>

> 1. GroundWork Open Source IT Monitoring and Network Monitoring Software
>       www.groundworkopensource.com/
> 2. Nagios - Network Monitoring Software
>      www.nagios.org/

Trust Nagios

> 3.Zenoss Home - Commercial Open Source Network, Systems
>       www.zenoss.com
> 4. IPTraf - An IP Network Monitor
>    iptraf.seul.org/
> 5. http://www.opennms.org/index.php/Main_Page
> 6.http://www.zabbix.com/
> 7.http://www.odcnms.org/
> 8.http://www.zenoss.com/
>

> By first glance on the websites it looks like Zabbix/Zenoss/Groundwork
> have very good reporting features. Reporting is curicial part for me
> as we are are thinking of replacing SiteScope as our current
> monitoring system.

We use Nagios extensively to
1. Generate system and resource utilizations
2. Report our system/services uptime and SLAs
3. System hardware failures e.g disk etc
4. Report capacity planning and management

Bit curious about vmware monitoring though? but rest of the things
Nagios just works out of the box :)

Regards
Yash