On Tuesday 02 Sep 2008, Vikas Rawal wrote:
> [snip]
> But, for a moment, forget that we are talking about google. Isn't
> this how every new open source project comes into being? Say, a bunch
> of developers think that an existing application should be built
> differently. They work on their ideas, make use of existing open
> source code, and build a competing open source application. In the
> end, their application may turn out to be better than other options
> and get adopted by users. It is also possible that it just evaporates
> in thin air as soon as it comes out. That's the way it is.
>
> We can't frown on google for developing parallel open source
> projects. Are you then going to say that kde team should contribute
> openoffice.orgrather than trying to develop koffice? Or tell gnumeric
> developers to forget
> about it and work on openoffice calc?

Well, that's exactly my point.

When Vikas Rawal or Raj Mathur announce on the ILUGD mailing list: We
are making a new browser which will be the killer-app browser of the
future with all new features, people look, yawn and press the Del key
quick.  OTOH, when Google does the same the amount of hype and
excitement generated is huge, to say the least.  You or I would count
ourselves lucky if we manage to get 1 coder interested in our project;
Google's announcements however draw away thousands of people committed
to other projects because of the sheer momentum their name generates.
And that is why I'm concerned about their apparent policy of drawing
developers from other, equally critical FOSS projects into their fold
by announcing competing applications.  I'd be much happier if they just
continued to support existing projects and bringing them up to their
standard rather than fragment the community like this.

> Also, I doubt if it is entirely correct to say that google does not
> support existing open source applications. Give them their due.
>
> If FOSS makes any sense, it has to be able to derive strength from
> freedom to create one's own thing. If creation of a new open source
> application can weaken existing FOSS applications, we are not going
> to get anywhere.

As you surely remember, the original master of vapourware game was MS,
who used to announce new applications at the concept stage to kill the
market for competition.  They were able to do this because of the
weight the name MS carried in the market.  Exactly the same way, in the
FOSS world there's a difference between developing an app to scratch an
itch and announcing a development as a strategic marketing initiative
to kill or weaken other apps.  If Google had actually made Android into
a viable platform for the community I wouldn't have been having doubts
about this announcement; in the light of their secretiveness regarding
the Android SDK, etc., however, I'm forced to question every
announcement of theirs.  I'm not claiming that they're out to kill FOSS
projects, but I'm not treating their announcements with unreserved
elation either.

Regards,

-- Raju
--