On 9/4/08, Sahil Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 1:48 PM, आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla <wahjava.ml@
>  gmail.com> wrote:

>  >
>  > I'm also using similar configuration since 1.8 years using Gmail's SMTP as
>  > mail relay for my local Postfix. And instead of using SMTPS port which is
>  > SMTP-over-SSL, I'm using smtp.gmail.com:25, which is a plain-text SMTP.
>  > Ofcourse
>  > my postfix then switches to TLS.
>

>  >> i also tried using port 25 earlier but the mails simply bounced.

I have been doing the same, too, quite successfully. What is the error
when you try port 25?

>  > Aug 30 11:55:15 chateau postfix/smtp[19013]: 6F3FFF4B5B:
>  > to=<ilugd@lists.linux-delhi.org>, relay=smtp.gmail.com[209.85.143.109]:25,
>  > delay=8.8, delays=0.03/0.03/5.5/3.2, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 OK
>  > 1220077498 d7sm3392119tib.4)
>

>  >> what is chateau over here, your local hostname?

Yes, it's his hostname.

>  > So the issue is Postfix expecting plain-text SMTP.
>  >
>  > I've followed Gmail + Postfix + Fetchmail HOWTO[1]. Though my configuration
>  > is
>  > somewhat different from what is mentioned in the HOWTO.
>  >
>  >

>  >> the one thing that i missed out in the above HOW-TO is the creation and
>  signing of SSL certificate. did you do that as well? i guess not, as you are
>  using plain-text smtp.

That could be the problem. Did you try Troubleshooting on the same page
---xxx---
openssl s_client -starttls smtp -CApath /usr/share/ssl/certs/ -connect
smtp.gmail.com:25
---xxx---
See if the above comand, and what does it return? Possibly you do need
to set certificates properly to go ahead as tls for smtpd, as per the
configuration shown there.
---xxx---
 smtp_use_tls = yes
---xxx---