On Tuesday 09 Sep 2008, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 September 2008 21:27:19 Karanbir Singh wrote:
> [snip]
> BTW, in a typical SOHO environment or even large companies which use
> Linux boxes for specific uses like mail servers, database servers,
> etc., what % of packages are actually redone? In most cases, only the
> ones specific to the use of the box are actually looked at carefully
> and configured appropriately. Most organizations out there cannot
> afford to have a separate local branch of packages where
> vendor/security changes are merged and maintained separately.

I'm running at least 20 Internet-connected Debian servers for various
clients, running various applications from Flash and PHP and intensive
MySQL based websites to mail servers to blogs to help desk systems, and
AFAIR I don't have a single non-distribution or even self-compiled
package on any of these systems.

Oh wait, there's some flash creation crapola I had to download (after
giving my client dire warnings) and alien from RPM for one of the
sites.  OK, one package.

But in general I agree, unless your needs are extremely specific you
probably don't need to go beyond your distribution repository,
specially if that distribution happens to be Debian.  I have a lot of
respect for CentOS, and I'd happily at least consider for servers if
the range of available packages wasn't limited (well, compared to
Debian).

Regards,

-- Raju
--