On Tuesday 30 September 2008 06:18:32 Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         And Ubuntu's effort in feeding back patches to Debian have
> not really impressed the Debian developers that much (apart, perhaps,
> from those being paid by Mark).

So, let me get this straight. You find the efforts of full-time
dedicated Canonical staff contributing back to Debian ok. Your problem
is with the *users* not contributing back to Debian? And that surprises
you?

Maybe you have forgotten the profile of end-users that current crop of
Linux distros like Ubuntu, Fedora address. Debian requires non-trivial
understanding of a desktop OS from it's users. So it's users are more
likely to contribute back with quite some detail. The kind of interface
that Ubuntu/Fedora is moving to, is precisely to remove that kind of
technical expectation from the end users.

Given that goal, it is but obvious that the kind of feedback you people
will get will be less detailed. Take a look at the bugs of Ubuntu as
compared to the bugs of Debian and you will find the difference. The
bugs of Ubuntu are generally like "this does not work! somebody please
fix this!". The bugs of Debian are like "this does not work! I looked
here and there and this is what I found. Here is what you might be
doing".

It is a qualitative difference. And it is inevitable. That is what is
going to happen when you take Linux to the masses. Face it! :) If you
disagree and say you do not want such users, I am sorry, but you and I
see different futures for Linux.

- Sandip