On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Nalin Savara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi People...
>
> A QUick question; for some basics.
>
> Assume I have a ubuntu (or ubuntu studio) linux install.
> Also, assume that I have a JAR file--- in which there's a class exposing a
> main() function--- which runs perfectly-- on a system with latest JDK---
> when I click the JAR file.
>
> How to create a 1-click installer OR web-installer for that ?
>
> Is there some script or package--- with which I can package it the way one
> packages MSI files on windows-- so that the script/installer copies the jar
> file into appropriate directories-- and creates desktop and
> Applications-menu shortcuts to the jar file ?

I'm not sure if "installation" is any different for jar files, but if
all you want is copying files around, creating shortcuts, (and running
custom scripts during installation, e.g., to check for updates, fetch
more files from internet, or open registration dialogues etc), for
ubuntu you can use "deb" packages and for fedora/redhat u can use
"rpm" packages. I don't have experience with creating an rpm package
but did a few debs and they are quite simple to make and I "guess"
there is something called alien which will let you convert these debs
into other package formats and vice versa.
-Shantz