I believe that Mr. Yatnatti's arguments on this topic are very much
relevant and definitely *not* a troll. His communication style might
not please everyone though. :)

That said, for all the questions I had raised some weeks back against
Redhat's ambiguous distribution policy, this thread by him and many
other text have changed my perception of Redhat's distribution policy.
I don't believe they are in violation of GPL, in fact they are using a
unique combination of GPL and trademark law to accommodate, in their
own way, both community and commercial interests. You can debate
endlessly about your intepretation of the spirit of GPL but at least
its words are not being violated.

You, of course, cannot put up Redhat's ISOs for download on bittorrent,
but their trademark is only on the distribution of a few of the Redhat
specific packages and not on its other components, which can be freely
distributed and therefore satisfy the Free Software distribution
guidelines. In fact, if you check this CentOs page, all the Redhat
software source is freely available:
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=2. The Redhat
specific packages which are non-free because of Redhat's trademark
restrictions are made Free software by CentOS (by removing the
trademarks) and can then be freely redistributed.

Mr. Yatnatti might be confusing software freedom with GPL or even FSF.
GPL/FSF are not the only representatives of free software, even though
they are its most prominent leaders. There are other interpretations of
software freedom too, some not always agreed by all the proponents of
the software freedom movement.

In fact, Debian has probably an even more stringent definition of
freedom. By it's parameters, probably the RHL distribution would fail
the freedom guidelines just like various mozilla foundation software
like Firefox and Thunderbird have failed. That doesn't mean that
Firefox and Mozilla are not "free" software. It just means that they
fail someone else's (in this case Debian's) expectation of freedom.

Another frequent clash of interpretation of freedom is between the BSD
and the Linux+GPL community.

Nobody is wrong in their expectations - they are just different ideas of
what the software world should be.

So I am not sure whether you will ever succeed in convincing other's
about Redhat's "violation" of GPL terms. They follow it to the T. They
might not satisfy *your* idea of what software freedom should be but
they are satisfying GPL's idea of freedom, and therefore they are not
doing anything illegal.

- Sandip