[snip]

> Bleah, I say, and bleah again! I will bet anyone ten thousand
> quatloos that online applications, let alone online operating
> systems will never be the future of computing, the fond hopes
> of Google, and Microsoft notwithstanding.

you use twiki for project and event management. others i know use
customer-relationship-managment (CRM) software. if the web had not
been invented,
you would have problably used twiki or web-based CRM as software on
each user's machines,
passing data around on floppies.
but i fail to understand why we don't see that just because it's on the web.
it is still a software. i should know, since way back in 1995 i wrote
a small application for a client that in principle did what a CRM does
today.
with today's sensibilities, if i had made it as a pure desktop-app, i
would have mulled over GPL or proprietary, whereas you say if i had
hosted it on the web, it wouldn't matter?
nice loophole.

>If MSVista was slow
> on the desktop, why do you think people would pay for more of
> a hit over the network?

Vista is a desktop OS. the idea of an os over the web has always
sounded silly to me. after all, the web runs over multiple OSes
hosting web-servers and apps in the first place. so why add another
layer of an OS on top? adding collaborative, web-based apps that do
more than desktop apps sounds more interesting.

>If you ask me, the race for dominance
> is in embedded devices, mobile phones,  and in looking beyond
> just software. Behold the beauty of my brick-text non-pareil.

sure, that is a valid point. embedded devices is where the hottest
opportunity of growth exists today. that's another segment. some
embedded devices may run web-apps too. so we're back to software
again, and the importance of the license, and our rights, privileges,
and unrestricted access to your own data.

> Regards,
> Gora

regards
niyam