"

Version 6 of the popular Perl programming language will not be
compatible with previous versions, but will open up a new world of
custom "languages" and interpreters, according to its founder Larry
Wall............

"It will break backward compatibility [but] in order to simplify it we
have to get rid of old cruft, particularly the regular expression
cruft," Wall said. "A lot of the unreadability of Perl is related to
the regular expression syntax – and we didn't do that, we got it from
Unix. It needs to be end-of-lifed. Regular expressions are not
strings, they are a sub-language. We took it and made it worse. There
is this two-pass nature that is evil." "

See

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/269758/perl_6_break_compatibility_support_other_interpreters?eid=-6787

Best

A. Mani