I am looking for a lead for 802.1x based network access control
implementation using FOSS..

I have'nt been able to get a clean enterprise grade FOSS package ready
for deployment. [yum install or apt-get install ]

freeIPA is a project in works, I dont know if any one has already tested this.

Else freeRADIUS 2.x.x with a mix of pki infrastructure and a Directory
Server is being used.

Can any one point me to a simple document where I can understand the
basics to get started?

Further, is it mandatory to have a 802.1x compliant switch? Currently
my switch does not have this capability. Any round about?

anand